Short Sales Help
In our current economy 2 out of 10 homeowners are having problems meeting their mortgage obligations. There are any number of reasons for this but the most common are loss of job, illness, relocation or divorce. With few options other than foreclosure, bankruptcy or a short sale people have a dour outlook.
For many people one of the options that provides the least damage to their personal lives and their credit report would be to pursue a short sale.
What is a Short Sale?
A short sale can be an excellent solution for homeowners who need to sell, and who owe more on their homes than they are worth. In the past, it was rare for a bank or lender to accept a short sale. Today, however, due to overwhelming market changes, banks and lenders have become much more negotiable when it comes to these transactions. Recent changes in corporate policy and the Obama administration have also improved the chances of getting a short sale approved.
But to be technical, here’s a more official definition:
- A homeowner is ‘short’ when the amount owed on his/her property is higher than current market value.
- A short sale occurs when a negotiation is entered into with the homeowner’s mortgage company (or companies) to accept less than the full balance of the loan at closing. A buyer closes on the property, and the property is then ‘sold short’ of the total value of the mortgage.
For homeowners to qualify for a short sale, they must fall into all of the following circumstances:
- Financial Hardship – There is a situation causing you to have trouble affording your mortgage.
- Monthly Income Shortfall – In other words: “You have more month than money.” A lender will want to see that you cannot afford, or soon will not be able to afford your mortgage.
- Insolvency – The lender will want to see that you do not have significant liquid assets that would allow you to pay down your mortgage.
This seems simple enough, but it is a complicated process that takes the expertise of experienced professionals. Together, we can identify all possible options and, if possible, I can assist you in the quick execution of a short sale transaction.